Pages

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Focusing On What I CAN Eat...

Recently, one of my friends mentioned that she was going to try going gluten free for a week to see how it made her feel, and she asked all of her GF friends for advice.  Of course I chimed in to tell her all about how important it is to try making her food at home for a while, but also to tell her about the amazing app Find Me Gluten Free.  I also told her that I believe that you should try to remain gluten free for about a month to even start feeling the benefits.  It's actually pretty easy to eat gluten free when you are cooking for yourself, although sometimes it does take a bit more time.  One of her other friends, however, had perhaps the best piece of information I had ever heard regarding the gluten free life.  She said that it's best to focus on what you can eat, instead of what you can't.

I can't believe that I never thought to put it that way before!  How much simpler a concept can you get?  Thinking in terms of what you can eat instead of what you can't is inspiring!  It creates a need for creativity, which creates incredible food!  When we think in terms of can't, I can't have bread, I can't have pasta, I can't have this, I can't have that, it starts to sound very discouraging.  Even in my first blog I mentioned how many foods I avoid, but maybe a  better way to come at this is by saying everything that I do eat!

For my gluten free journey, I have found that I actually enjoy a meat and potatoes style of diet.  I used to eat sandwiches all the time, but when I went gluten free, I was determined I wouldn't just replace foods that I could no longer enjoy with expensive GF substitutes, but rather, I would just eliminate them entirely, except on the rare occasion I treat myself.  This has worked for pretty much every meal I make.  For breakfast, instead of cereal, I eat bacon...  Yes, I said bacon, I think that's a trade up from cereal for sure!!  Lunch tends to be left overs from earlier in the week, but I also try to keep an assortment of homemade and store bought GF soups and veggies to make salads with.  Dinner is where I take the most time.  Before going GF, dinner used to be a drive to a sub shop or to get a burger.  Now, I usually find myself enjoying my time in the kitchen creating gluten free feasts.  If I need a carb or starch I make a potato...  Do you have any idea how many ways there are to cook potatoes?  Hop on Google or Pinterest if you find yourself needing ways to dress up potatoes.  Fry them, bake them, saute them, or even cook them in the Crock Pot, I promise they are so versatile!  Sometime when I'm not feeling a potato, I make rice, although I must confess, I am a terrible rice maker, so that's usually my last resort.  As far as making veggies and proteins, the options are limitless, make a chicken, wrap a burger in lettuce, or spring a little and make a steak!  Be careful with premixed herbs and spices if you are going truly gluten free as many manufacturers use additives to ensure that the spices don't clump up in the jar.  Also, beware of soy sauce as it is actually not even close to gluten free!  If you need soy sauce, I would suggest going to your local Asian market and looking for Tamari sauce.

Going gluten free doesn't have to mean the end of tasty food, nor does it mean breaking the bank by buying pre-made foods that are probably not all that good for you anyway.  The options are limitless, but you may have to put in a bit of thought to find ways of enjoying new foods, as well as creativity to find new ways to make old favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment