Pages

Thursday, May 16, 2013

I'm getting the butterflies!!!!

Ten more days until I go on the biggest trip of my life!!  My stomach feels like it is in the circus, it is jumping around so much.  I keep reminding myself to calm down.  It's not working very well ha ha ha.  I have learned how to say "hello, goodbye, thank you, and where is the bathroom."  I bought new packing cubes, and a toiletry bag, as well as a few different secret money pouches.  I have done a little something special for the wonderful man in my life, so he doesn't forget me when I'm half the world away from him, as well as purchased extra food, treats, and toys for all the critters so they won't forget me either.  I'm pretty much ready except for the actual packing step!  I still can't believe that in 10 short days I'll be in beautiful Italy!!!  Wow!  I feel excited, scared, and at a real loss for the perfect words to describe everything I'm feeling as I get ready for the trip.

One of the most important steps I took to get ready for this trip was to let the travel agency know that I am gluten intolerant.  I think I may be one of the first customers of theirs to mention gluten as a condition.  When I first heard about the opportunity to take the trip I wanted to go, but I wanted to make sure that I would be able to eat, and enjoy eating during the tour.  It would be miserable to take a food tour through Italy and to not be able to eat anything!  Well, I emailed the travel agency and I asked if it would be possible for me to go, and to still be able to eat.  The email I got in return was a little less than reassuring actually.  It said something along the lines of "well, if she can't have gluten, don't eat pasta or bread."  Um, yeah I know, I've been going strong totally gluten free for over a year and a half now, and I was more concerned about hidden gluten and cross contamination.  Obviously, I have decided to take a chance.  I think it's important for me to jump on an opportunity like this, regardless of a possibility of gluten contact.

I have stocked up on antacids, allergy pills, and, just in case, my meds for extreme nausea.  I have also come up with a game plan just in case things are not as simple as they should be where food is concerned.  The first city that we will be visiting is Parma, and it just so happens that what the city of Parma is famous for is cured meat and cheese!  I plan to stock up on jerky and cheese while I'm in Parma just in case gluten becomes an issue later on in the trip.  I hope that it won't, and in fact, I am actually pretty sure I'll be fine, apparently Celiac's Disease is very common in Italy, I won't even start on the irony there.  I also purchased the "Gluten Free Guide to Italy" which has a warning card inside, written in Italian, that I can pass on to servers to let them know that I cannot have gluten.  I have taken every step I can think of, and some that I did not think of (I have such great friends!) to make sure that I am prepared, and I really think I am!

Ten days just seems like no time at all!  In fact, it's less time than I will be spending on this trip.  I think that's why the butterflies are fluttering so frantically in my belly.  It has finally hit me that this trip is not only real, but that wild horses couldn't stop me from jumping on the plane!  Despite all my concerns, legitimate as they may be, I am excited!  This truly is the trip of a lifetime, and the countdown continues!!

No comments:

Post a Comment